The Regent’s Park (including Primrose Hill) covers 197 hectares and like most of the other Royal Parks, Regent’s Park was part of the large area of land appropriated by Henry VIII. Marylebone Park, as the area was known, remained a royal domain until 1646. After the Civil War, the land was leased by the crown to tenant farmers until 1811 when the rapidly developing London made the area attractive to building.
John Nash, architect to the crown and friend of the Prince Regent developed a masterplan for Regent’s Park which included a huge circle with a lake, a canal and the new royal residence inside. There was also a plan for 56 villas in the park and a series of grand Regency terraces around it.
Although the masterplan was never completed, many elements of Nash’s scheme survived with eight villa’s and a series of grand Regency terraces built. The park was only used originally by the residents of the villas and terraces until 1835, when the east side the park was open to the public.
The park was little changed for 150 years until formal Rose beds were developed in Queen Mary’s Gardens in 1930s.
Running through the northern end of the park is the Regent’s Canal and it borders on London Zoo, but much of the park is open parkland with a wide range of facilities including gardens, a lake with a boating area, sports pitches, and children’s playgrounds.
See Video Review here
For more information, visit the Royal Parks website here
London Visitors is the official blog for the Visiting London Guide .com website. The website was developed to bring practical advice and latest up to date news and reviews of events in London.
Since our launch in January 2014, we have attracted thousands of readers each month, the site is constantly updated.
We have sections on Museums and Art Galleries, Transport, Food and Drink, Places to Stay, Security, Music, Sport, Books and many more.
There are also hundreds of links to interesting articles on our blog.
To find out more visit the website here