Photo London Metropolitan Police
Even in a city as busy and crowded as London, incidents of mugging and pickpocketing are still quite low. Knowing how and where criminals who commit these crimes operate will help you avoid falling victim to them.
Thieves frequently operate:
- At tube stations.
- At cash machines.
- In car parks.
- Around bus stations.
- In overcrowded areas, especially at rush hour.
Be aware and keep your possessions safe:
- Never leave your bags or other valuables unattended in public places.
- Be discreet with your belongings; displaying expensive jewellery or electronic devices, like mobile phones or cameras, could attract unwanted attention.
- Don’t make your mobile phone a moving target. Don’t tempt mobile phone thieves, be aware when making a call.
Reduce the risk of mobile phone theft by following these simple tips:
- Don’t leave your phone on tables in pubs or restaurants.
- When you leave a train or tube station don’t use your phone immediately, leave it a while.
- Don’t walk and text at the same time, you will be less aware of what is happening around you.
- Keep calls in public places as brief as possible, the longer you talk, the more likely you are to be spotted by a potential thief.
Looks good enough to grab
Be aware of chain-snatch thieves and keep your jewellery out of sight. Snatch robberies can involve violence or theft. The chance that this will ever happen to you is quite small, but you should be aware of what you can do to keep yourself and your property safe:
- Make sure your jewellery is not visible.
- Plan your journey in advance.
- Avoid dark or deserted areas late at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings and stay alert to what’s going on around you.
How to get your personal items security marked
There are several ways you can mark you property to help protect your personal items further.If you have any information on stolen goods, report it to the police by calling 101. If it is an emergency dial 999.
London Visitors is the official blog for the Visiting London Guide .com website. The website was developed to bring practical advice and latest up to date news and reviews of events in London.
Since our launch , we have attracted thousands of readers each month, the site is constantly updated.
We have sections on Museums and Art Galleries, Transport, Food and Drink, Places to Stay, Security, Music, Sport, Books and many more.
There are also hundreds of links to interesting articles on our blog.
To find out more visit the website here